First World Problems: It’s a new’ish term that seems to be everywhere lately. I like it. It seems to apply to a lot of things that strike me (sometimes after the fact) as really stupid. Generally, I know, in the moment, that I’m kvetching, stuck on something that’s totally a “first world complaint.” It’s amazing how many things we worry about that really are insignificant, in the big picture. Here’s a list of recent ones I’ve stumbled over.
I’ll show you mine, if you show me yours. I know you have some too; share them in the comment section.
1) A lot of my summer clothes don’t fit me; I’ve gained weight. I don’t want to go shopping, because I need to lose this weight, not cover it up. My winter clothes probably don’t fit either, but I refuse to test that theory until September. The more frustrated I get, the harder it is to stick to a diet. Slippery slope.
2) I can’t get my son to finish power washing the driveway. He’s snarky every time I bring it up. So my driveway is only half way cleaned, and now the drain trap is plugged too. Dirty pavement; snarky 16-year old. Ugh.
3) The airlines lost our luggage coming back from our vacation in Barbados. I didn’t have my stuff for three days, and when it got here it was all wrinkled and mashed up. (Yeah, I know… waaagh) And it’s the stuff that fits me.
4) I lost my Fitbit, so I had to buy a new one, and it was a real pain in the neck to sinc the new one… Now I need to get moving again. (That’s a two fer one)
5) Met a friend for lunch, and ate way too many nachos! So full— See number 1.
6) I lost my favorite pair of earrings on the way home from the airport Sunday. Such a bummer. I’ve got dozens more, but those were the ones I really loved to wear.
7) I really need to clean out my closet and get rid of a lot of things. I don’t wear so much of what’s in there, and I need to just sort through it all and donate or sell things. Every time I go in there, I just get stuck. Right now, most of it doesn’t fit anyway. See number 1.
8) The Allergist just told me that I need to start avoiding dairy… or try to cut back. I need to bring my cholesterol down too (genetic). I’m not sure I can go without ice cream, though. Seriously. See number 1.
9) I’m in a funk… It’s getting better, but some days are just harder than others. I keep reminding myself that I’m working my way out of a (nearly two year) depression. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not minimizing depression, but I’m aware that I am “lucky” that I can figure it out, work on the issues, and nurture myself… work on my needs. Those are luxuries that those without resources and support, do not have the benefit of working on. While mental health issues occur in all areas of the world, knowing that I have food, a support system, resources, friends that care… ice cream… makes it all a lot easier to work through. Still, some days are harder than others.
10) I need to finish edits on my novel and move forward with efforts to publish it. As part of my funk, depression, I can’t seem to really dig in and do it. I’m still going back and forth, in my head, about whether to self-publish or try to get published— which causes me to throw my hands up in the air and read other people’s blogs and avoid my writing, instead. The fact that I worry about not posting on my blog enough… distinctly a First World Problem.
11) Eleven kinds of ice-cream in our freezer and no coffee Haggen Daz. Not sure how the hell we ended up with that many ice-creams in our freezer (For the record: there’s usually 1-3), but how could there be none of my favorite? I’m trying not to go buy more. See number 1 and 8. Feh.
12) Our dog has developed some anxiety issues at night. We’ve wondered if he’s developing some dementia (he’s 12), but either way— he’s scratching the doors at night, and being a general pain in the ass.
13) My toenails are a mess. I’m not usually a glitter(y) girl. Picked a sparkly color for our vacation, now I have it chipped and a mess on 8 and two half toes. Haven’t figured out how the two toes ended up with only half polish.
14) “What’s for dinner?” (this could be tied for number one)
15) My new antihistamine is making me really drowsy. I need a nap.