Happy New Year and something to smile about: My blog was awarded the Versatile Blogger Award! I have Vivian Kirkland at Positive Parental Participation to thanks for that. Having checked out some of the other blogs that have won this, I can honestly say I’m humbled to be in such a wonderful group. Recently, my blog has focused a lot on the later stages of parenting: parenting one’s parents, aging and loss. However, as the mother of three (22, 19, 15) and the “host-mom” to two wonderful exchange students (who I call Denmark, 16; and China 16, in my posts), I spend plenty of time working on strategies to stay sane and get a few laughs along the way. If you check out some of the updates from the “U.N. you’ll see that chaos often rules. My blog is simply about my world and how I see it all go down.
The award rules state: Share 7 things about myself and then pass this on to 15 other noteworthy blogs. I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t follow 15 other blogs, but here are some other blogs that I really enjoy and think you should check out, as well as 7 things I can say about myself (and keep my PG rating):
1. My mother died of Huntington’s Disease at 4:25 A.M., December 31, 2011. I’m still processing that and writing about that. Check out my past 3 posts to read about that.
2. I just submitted my first novel, Tuned In, to a small publishing house, on December 30th, just hours before my mother died. It was quite a 24 hours! My hopes are not high, but I’m really proud that I did it!
3. I’ve practiced yoga for 15 years, but have not practiced in about a month… NEED. MY. MAT.
4. I am very sarcastic, wry, spontaneous, and I swear too much. These attributes are both charming and terribly annoying, depending on who I’m around.
5. I eat a lot of sushi, cheez-its, hot tamales and ritz crackers, and I would go through serious withdrawl if I was forced to abandon Kool Coffee Creams or Häagen Dazs coffee ice-cream. However, I do healthy things too: during a trip to India with my (then) 18 year old son, two years ago this April, I gave up caffein.
6. I think waxing anywhere south of my chin is too horrible to consider. I stand by this.
7. I like to travel alone. This past summer, I ran away to Yellowstone, solo, for two weeks … and I figure it’s something worth doing again. (Some of those posts are damned funny folks, go back and read them… especially if you’ve only read my sadder ones of late.)
So here’s the hard part: I feel badly, but I don’t actually have 15 blogger to recommend. I know there are so many amazing ones out there, but my life has been so crazy lately that I often find a post I like and then forget to go back. I don’t commit easily, so I don’t “subscribe” easily. It’s me, not them, because there are lots of fine blogs I should be sharing this with, but I want to be honest here and I don’t want to just add links insincerely. The ones I’m including here have made me laugh, smile or tear up. They’ve touched my heart, or just given me food for thought. Please take the time to check them out and see why:
Domestic Simplicity– her photos are simply sublime, but what she has to say is as well.
Me 2.0– Mikalee doesn’t need my recommendation, but this chick makes me LOL… and I hate LOL.
Chronicles of a Family Outing– Poignant, powerful and truly beautiful writing.
Rita’s Reflections– Kindred spirit. Mothering a teen doesn’t get much funnier.
Swonderland– Wow! Amazing writing and a mom I wish I had known when my kids were that age.
Dig this Chick– Everything she writes about is beautiful and while she does not need my plug, or know that I’m even out here… I love checking out her magical spot on the planet.
Some Species Eat Their Young– I love what this man has to say about his wife, children and life.
Kathleen Mulroy’s Blog– Diverse and interesting, always fun to check out.
Again, I’m sorry I’m not adding more. If you follow my blog and are asking: “Why didn’t she suggest me?” I’m truly sorry. It’s been a very rough few weeks and it was hard to sit and think clearly here. You know how those Oscar winners always say: “I’m probably forgetting someone?”… well, this is probably as close to my Oscar moment as I’m gonna come and I just wasn’t prepared. I thank the Academy, my family, my mother, God (because everyone else does) and all of my wonderful readers, who make me smile, each time they hit Like!