Last year, I followed in the footsteps of Jen over at Jenny’s Lark, and I wrote a list of 50 things I was grateful for in 2014. The list actually became 60 things, because I still had time and I had a lot to be grateful for! The exercise was originally a spin off a Daily Prompt challenge, that Jen created. Jen and I had so much fun with it, we added links to our blogs, as other bloggers followed suit. I found the writing experience so positive, that I kept it in mind as a something to do again for 2015.
This year, I reached out to a bunch of wonderful bloggers and suggested that we all come together and share gratitude. Some could make it and others couldn’t. And once again, Jen had a great idea: focus on happy and be grateful. It’s about choosing happy, choosing positive, over the negative things that we could focus on, she pointed out. Jen’s smart that way. Gratitude or Happiness–– Chicken or egg? In taking time to reflect on things that made me happy in 2015, I feel grateful. If I express gratitude, I find myself feeling happy. Either way, it’s a win/win. I guarantee, you that you will find yourself feeling good, smiling, feeling grateful and happy if you spend 10 minutes reflecting on positivity.
If you’d like to join in, here’s how it works: set a timer for 10 minutes; timing this is critical. Once you start the timer, start your list (the timer doesn’t matter for filling in the instructions, intro, etc). The goal is to write 50 things that made you happy in 2015, or 50 thing that you feel grateful for. The idea is to not think too hard; write what comes to mind in the time allotted. When the timer’s done, stop writing. If you haven’t written 50 things, that’s ok. If you have more than 50 things and still have time, keep writing; you can’t feel too happy or too grateful! When I finished my list, I took a few extra minutes to add links and photos.
To join us for this project: 1) Write your post and publish it (please copy and paste the instructions from this post, into yours) 2) Click on the blue frog at the very bottom of this post. 3) That will take you to another window, where you can past the URL to your post. 4) Follow the prompts, and your post will be added to the Blog Party List. Please note: the InLinkz will expire on January 15, 2015. After that date, no blogs can be added.
Please note that only blog posts that include a list of 50 (or an attempt to write 50) things that made you feel Happy or 50 things that you are Grateful for, will be included. Please don’t add a link to a post that isn’t part of this exercise; I will remove it. Aside from that one caveat, there is no such thing as too much positivity. Share your happy thoughts, your gratitude; help us flood the blogosphere with both!
May your holidays be filled with happiness and gratitude!
Now for my list:
50(ish) Happy Things From 2015… That I Feel Grateful For:
(in no particular order)
- My family- I am so grateful that I have people I love so much, who love me so much in return.
- The birth of my first grandchild, Amitai Shelev, this past August. Every single day he brings me joy! And oh the sweet smell of him, in his first three weeks! I could have died of happiness.
- I am so grateful for the photos, videos, Skype dates that my daughter shares with me, so that I can see my grand baby! He lives in Israel. That is a very long way from where I live, but the use of computers, smart phones, Skype, help make that distance infinitely more bearable.
- I am enormously happy for the 14 years of love that I’ve had from my gorgeous boy, Luke. He is a 16 years old lab and approaching his last day. While my heart is broken now, it has been made better and stronger for the love he has shown me. I am so grateful.
- I’m grateful for wonderful friends, who fill my life with laughs, hugs and fun… not to mention outrageously great adventures!
- I’m grateful for Readers who read my writing regularly, and encourage me to keep going. Thank you!
- I’m SO grateful to each and every blogger who joined in to help make this blog so fun! Thank you guys!
- I happy that my work has done so well on Huffington Post this year.
- I was honored and happy to be named a BlogHer Voices of the year, 2015!
- I was so happy to meet bloggers: Jen G, Julie T, Samara, Melissa, Erin, Katrina, Kelly, Emily, Julie S, James, Tonya, GG, and Cathy, in person this year. I loved getting to share your orbit, even for a little while.
- I’m happy for light on the water.
- I’m so happy when I’m eating sushi.
- I am grateful for the chance to do so many wonderful things this year.
- I am grateful for getting to be present (in the room) when my grandson was born!
- I am happy when I’m tutoring high school students for the college essays. I love their energy.
- I am happy when I have my fleecy jacket on.
- I was happy to spend time in my hometown and get to hang out with my hommies. Nothing like feeling loved for who you are, who you were, and where you come from.
- I’m grateful for pastels and paper to express myself artistically.
- I’m grateful for time spent in Bend, OR… twice this year!
- I’m so happy on the beach, looking for treasures.
- My sea glass collection makes me very happy!
- I’m happy when I make a good pot of soup, and we all enjoy it for dinner.
- I grateful for my book group. I love hanging out with these ladies!
- I’m grateful for a writing group who encouraged me for many years, and for all the people who continue to nudge me, help me edit, push me to do what I love: Write. Oona, you rock extra hard!
- I’m grateful every single time someone leaves a comment on my blog, or on something I’ve written for HuffPo or BlogHer. I seriously smile ear to ear!
- I’m so happy with my dogs. They make me laugh, they bring me love, and they make every day better. I miss them terribly when I’m away and I look forward to their wiggly, happy bodies each morning.
- I’m happy when I find a book to really enjoy.
- I’m happy writing Friday Fictioneers, flash fiction each week.
- I’m happy when I participate in #ThinkBigWithMarshaWright each week. Love the positivity all day each Sunday!
- I’m happy for rainy days, and grateful for sunshine.
- I’m happy on a bicycle built for two, with my husband and friends. I’m especially grateful that my husband has continued to ride with me for 33 years, 29 of them married.
- This summer in Israel, I was SO grateful for air conditioning!
- I’m grateful for good physical therapy, that’s helping me get in touch with myself.
- I’m so grateful for music. It’s my life blood. I am so happy EVERY time I hear Counting Crows’ Mr Jones or Stevie Nicks’ Landslide.
- I’m grateful that my aunts had the courage and love to tell me the truth about my family and my life. It has made all the difference.
- I’m humbled by all the good things that have come my way this year–– I feel happy and grateful for all of it!
- I’m happy that we have mountains nearby and grateful that I’m able to see the ocean, from my kitchen each day.
- I’m happy when my Hanukkah candles are lit, and my Christmas tree is decorated.
- I was so happy to spend time with Jen G and her gorgeous, delightfully delicious children this past summer.
- I’m happy that I could work out (ish) the InLinkz code for this blog.
- I’m happy when I eat fresh fruit in the summer.
- I’m grateful for snow.
- I’m grateful for the incredible community where I live.
- I’m grateful for legalized marijuana.
- I’m grateful and happy that I can say number 40.
- I’m so happy my youngest son went off to college. It’s great to see him happy, and I’m grateful for getting to spend time with my him there.
- I’m so happy that the new Star Wars movie is out; can’t wait to see it!
- I’m grateful for time spent with my family, in Israel this summer. It was incredible to all be together when our newest family member arrived. (Read all about it here)
- I’m happy when I get to eat a big, bold salad.
- Cheez Its make me happy!
- I’m so grateful I live where I do. It makes me happy every day!
- I’m happy to be alive.
- Ok, CHEAT alert: I’m adding this after the fact, because my list absolutely would not be complete without it. Hospice! I am so incredibly grateful that I get to work at Hospice each week. I feel happy, deeply honored, and so grateful with each patient I spend time with. I am touched by every single family that lets me into the room, invites me to share such sacred time, that thank me for my presence. I am so grateful for Hospice! If you want to really feel touched, and see gratitude, read the comments in THIS post. They blew me away!!
Phew! I got that last one typed just after the timer went off! It’s true that sitting and doing this kind of meditation, brings a smile to my face and makes it easier to think of other things I’m grateful for, other things that make me happy. Can’t wait to read the others! Click on the frog at the bottom of the page to add a post of your own, or read the other amazing lists! Join us!
* * *
Help Me Reach My Goals! KAPOW! The Tales From the Motherland Facebook page recently hit the 2015 goal of 800 likes (which I set after hitting the 700 mark)! I’m going big for the next year and aiming for 1,000!! Have you stopped by to spread some fairy dust? Follow me on Twitter, LeBron James does (yes, for real)! Most importantly, if you like a post I’ve written, hit Like and leave a comment. Honest, constructive feedback is always appreciated.
Click Follow; you’ll get each new post delivered by email, no spam. ©2015 All content and images on this site are copyrighted to Dawn Quyle Landau and Tales From the Motherland, unless specifically noted otherwise. If you want to share my work, I’m grateful, but please give proper credit and Link back to my work; plagiarism sucks!
Click the frog to join. Copy and paste the URL below that, to add the InLinkz to your own blog